The American Sleep Apnea Association (ASAA) AWAKE Program has been helping sleep apnea patients stay AWAKE – “Alert, Well and Keeping Energetic” – for more than 30 years. Our AWAKE groups provide patients with peer-to-peer learning and support on many aspects of sleep apnea, including use of positive airway pressure (PAP) machines (CPAP, Auto PAP, Bilevel PAP).
Peer Mentors is the next step towards virtual, one-on-one support for PAP use, providing new or struggling PAP users with experienced mentors to help them overcome any PAP hurdle they are facing.
This program is funded by Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) (grant# DI-2018C2-13161) and University of Arizona
What Does a Peer Mentor Do?
After reviewing the manual and completing online training modules, a Mentor will periodically receive phone calls from patients needing telephone support to help with their PAP issues. Patients often need assistance with:
- How to overcome the hurdles of PAP therapy
- Tips for improving therapy with their machine and mask
- How to navigate their treatment pathway with their Equipment Provider/Doctor
How Can I Become a Peer Mentor?
After a quick interview and some video training, you will be ready to help other sleep apnea patients! Additionally, the first 2,000 Peer Mentors who complete and pass the required training and interview will receive a $50 gift card* as a thank you for your commitment.
Steps to become a Peer Mentor
- Sign up above to join our Community and answer a few eligibility questions
- Participate in a quick 20-minute interview with an AWAKE Support Team Member
- Complete 2 hours of video training
- Start receiving calls from our Community!
And if you have a Mentor to refer, send them our way!